Requests for cancellation of the housing agreement must be in writing through the mail or by using our contact us form and selecting "Cancellation" as the subject. The Department of Housing and Residence Life is not responsible for misdirected mail, undelivered email, or improper notification. Students who cancel their agreement are subject to the cancellation schedule and assessments in the agreement terms and conditions. Students are advised to read the terms and conditions or speak with a housing accountant before canceling his/her agreement.
The cancellation of the agreement can only be initiated for future semesters while in residence. Once a student cancels his/her agreement, the student may reside in housing until the end of the semester in which they submit the request. The student must move out on or before the closing date of the semester in which the student cancels. A cancellation also cancels any rights to housing in future semesters under the agreement. Cancellation does not eliminate responsibility for fees already due and payable, such as late fees. A student who cancels must re-apply, meet all of the requirements, and be selected for housing under a new agreement for any future periods.
Please refer to our Agreement Terms for information concerning cancellation deadlines and rates.
If a student wishes to appeal a cancellation assessment, an appeal may be initiated provided there is legitimate basis for the appeal. A general dissatisfaction with housing such as roommates, services provided, or a policy is not a basis for an appeal. Students who are wishing to appeal housing charges that are not related to cancellation should contact the housing staff member who initiated the charge (i.e. cleaning, improper check-out, keys, etc.). Housing agreement prepayments are not appealable.
An appeal may be submitted to the Housing Administrative Appeals Board. The Housing Administrative Appeals Board is appointed by the Associate Vice President for Student Development and Enrollment Services. The membership is comprised of university personnel, with a majority from outside the Department of Housing and Residence Life. The members meet each month to review appeals.
Please note that once your account has been submitted to a non-university collection agency, you are no longer eligible to appeal your cancellation charge(s).
Requirements to submit an appeal:
- A student must have canceled and received a cancellation charge assessment.
- The appeal must be submitted in writing using a word processing program with a student signature. Hand written appeals will not be accepted.
- Appeals and supporting documentation are due at least 4 business days prior to a scheduled meeting date to be considered for review. Please keep in mind that even if all documentation is received 4 business days prior to a scheduled meeting, the appeal may need to be heard at the next meeting based on high volume or other circumstances.
- Appeals and supporting documentation are due three days before the board meets.
- Students do not attend the board meetings.
- Students should submit the reason for the appeal in the letter. Cancellation assessments are not usually overturned for conflicts dealing with roommates, policy violations, and/or services provided. Those concerns do not cause students to cancel because they can meet with Housing and Residence Life staff for a room change or assistance.
- Supporting documentation is required for appeals based on medical or financial reasons. It is important that medical documentation is on the provider's letterhead with a signature. The medical provider should not simply tell the board the student cannot live on-campus. Information is needed as to why the student cannot live on-campus anymore.
Students will receive written notification of the Committee's decision through the mail after the meeting.
If a student wishes to re-appeal based on the outcome of the original appeal, the same process must be followed. The committee will only review re-appeals that bring new information forth that was not included in the original appeal. The decision of the HAAB is final. There is no appeal of an HAAB decision.
2013 Meeting Dates
|Deadline to Submit Appeal||Appeals Hearing Date|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, February 13, 2013||Thursday, February 21, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, March 13, 2013||Thursday, March 21, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, April 10, 2013||Thursday, April 18, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, May 08, 2013||Thursday, May 16, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, June 12, 2013||Thursday, June 20, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, July 10, 2013||Thursday, July 18, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, August 07, 2013||Thursday, August 15, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, September 11, 2013||Thursday, September 19, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, October 09, 2013||Thursday, October 17, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, November 13, 2013||Thursday, November 21, 2013|
|5:00 PM, Wednesday, December 11, 2013||Thursday, December 19, 2013|
Mail Appeals To:
Housing Administrative Appeals Board
P.O. Box 163222
Orlando, Florida 32816-3222
Fax Appeals To:
In Person To:
Housing Administration Building