Read your housing agreement terms and conditions or speak with a housing accountant before cancelling your agreement.
It is very important to notify UCF Housing promptly of your intent to cancel. Cancellation fees vary based on type of agreement and date of notification. Read your agreement terms and conditions to see the cancellation fee schedule that applies to you.
You must submit a request for cancellation in writing via mail or by using our online “Contact Us” form.
Cancellation does not eliminate your responsibility for fees already charged (like late fees), or fees charged as a result of cancellation and move out (like rekey, damage or other fees).
You may not cancel the summer part of your Towers or NorthView housing agreement before move in. The earliest time you can initiate a cancellation of the summer portion of a 3-semester agreement is the beginning of the spring semester.
Housing agreement terminations for graduation, military deployment, medical withdrawal, academic disqualification, or internship, exchange or cooperative education programs are covered in section 41 of the housing agreement terms and conditions.
Only housing accounts receivable staff are authorized to discuss the terms of a housing agreement.
Only written statements regarding your housing agreement are binding.
Always refer to our Agreement Terms for complete information concerning cancellation.
If a student wishes to appeal a cancellation assessment, an appeal may be initiated provided there is legitimate basis for the appeal. A general dissatisfaction with housing such as roommates, services provided, or a policy is not a basis for an appeal. Students who are wishing to appeal housing charges that are not related to cancellation should contact the housing staff member who initiated the charge (i.e. cleaning, improper check-out, keys, etc.). Housing agreement prepayments are not appealable.
An appeal may be submitted to the Housing Administrative Appeals Board. The Housing Administrative Appeals Board is appointed by the Associate Vice President for Student Development and Enrollment Services. The membership is comprised of university personnel, with a majority from outside the Department of Housing and Residence Life. The members meet each month to review appeals.
Please note that once your account has been submitted to a non-university collection agency, you are no longer eligible to appeal your cancellation charge(s).
Requirements to submit an appeal:
- A student must have submitted a cancellation and received a cancellation charge assessment appearing on their student account.
- The appeal must be submitted in typed or word processed format. Hand written appeals will not be accepted.
- Appeals submitted via e-mail must originate from the student’s Knights e-mail account; e-mails sent from the student’s Knights e-mail account do not have to possess the student’s signature.
- If not submitted via e-mail from the student’s Knights e-mail account, the appeal must contain the signature of the student, in the original or appearing on a scanned document.
- Appeals and supporting documentation are due on or before the submission deadline for each month shown below to be heard at the meeting date shown for that month. Appeals submitted after the submission deadline will be bumped to the next month’s meeting.
- Students do not attend the board meetings.
- Students should submit the reason for the appeal in the letter. Supporting documentation is strongly encouraged, and is required for appeals based on medical reasons. Supporting documentation from disinterested individuals are preferred over supporting documentation from friends, family members or individuals with an interest in the outcome.
Medical documentation must appear on the provider's letterhead, and include the signature of the provider. The medical provider should not simply tell the board the student cannot or should not live on-campus. Information is needed as to why the student cannot live on-campus, and should include
- date of onset of the condition
- diagnosis of condition
- prognosis – whether the condition can be treated
- course of treatment
- why the condition prevents the student from completing their housing agreement
- discussion of why there are no other alternatives other than cancellation of the housing agreement that will address the condition
Cancellation assessments are not usually overturned for:
- conflicts dealing with roommates, policy violations, and/or services provided. These concerns can be resolved by meeting with UCF Housing and Residence Life staff and requesting a room change or other assistance.
- financial inconvenience or inability to pay. UCF Housing and Residence Life does not assume or bear the risk that students are unable, or become unable, to meet their financial obligations.
- attendance at another educational institution, or at another UCF campus. UCF Housing and Residence Life does not assume or bear the risk that students are unable.
Students will receive written notification of the Committee's decision through the mail after the meeting.
If a student wishes to re-appeal based on the outcome of the original appeal, the same process must be followed. The committee will only review re-appeals that bring new information forth that was not included in the original appeal. The decision of the HAAB is final. There is no appeal of an HAAB decision.
2018-2019 Meeting Dates
|Deadline to Submit Appeal||Appeals Hearing Date|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, January 10, 2018||Thursday, January 18, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, February 07, 2018||Thursday, February 15, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, March 07, 2018||Thursday, March 15, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, April 11, 2018||Thursday, April 19, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, May 9, 2018||Thursday, May 17, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, June 13, 2018||Thursday, June 21, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, July 11, 2018||Thursday, July 19, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, August 08, 2018||Thursday, August 16, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, September 12, 2018||Thursday, September 20, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, October 10, 2018||Thursday, October 18, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, November 07, 2018||Thursday, November 15, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, December 12, 2018||Thursday, December 20, 2018|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, January 09, 2019||Thursday, January 17, 2019|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, February 13, 2019||Thursday, February 21, 2019|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, March 13, 2019||Thursday, March 21, 2019|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, April 10, 2019||Thursday, April 18, 2019|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, May 08, 2019||Thursday, May 16, 2019|
|05:00 PM Wednesday, June 12, 2019||Thursday, June 20, 2019|
Mail Appeals To:
Housing Administrative Appeals Board
P.O. Box 163222
Orlando, Florida 32816-3222
Fax Appeals To:
In Person To:
Housing Administration Building