Hurricane Tips

Residents are encouraged to monitor emergency information via the University of Central Florida website. The Department of Housing and Residence Life staff will inform residents of necessary preparations in the event of a hurricane.

Continue to check the UCF Hurricane website for updates and additional information.

General Information and Tips:

  • Hurricane season takes place from June 1 to November 30 each year.
  • Take time to get storm preparations in order and review your personal hurricane safety plans before the onset of severe weather.
  • Prepare a Hurricane Kit with essentials to survive at least three day. Information may be found here.
  • Students who need to purchase additional food and supplies can ride the grocery shuttles from the main and Downtown campuses to nearby Publix stores.
  • Stay informed of any UCF updates and severe weather threats with UCF Alert messages.
  • UCF Housing updates will be sent via UCF email and through social media (Instagram: @ucfhousing; Facebook: UCF Housing)
  • The Community Living Guide and UCF Rules of Conduct will be strictly enforced; you must follow all policies, guidelines, and staff instructions.
  • Candles or any other items using a flame are prohibited, even at the event of power loss.
  • Keep your UCFID card and room key with you at all times as staff will not be able to provide lockouts until the severe weather subsides.
  • Due to impacts of a storm or hurricane, comforts such as power, WIFI, and police and medical assistance may be limited.
  • On-campus dining, study and recreation hours may be limited during severe weather conditions.
  • You may contact your community office with any urgent questions or concerns.
  • If you experience any emergencies, call 911 directly.

If you feel you need some additional support, here are some additional resources from UCF Counseling and Psychological Services:

  • Keep yourself informed, yet avoid obsessing over the news
  • Gather supplies that help you manage distress in the moment (stress balls, coloring books, stuffed animals, etc.)
  • Talk it out! Reach out to family and friends and discuss your feelings
  • Use our crisis hotline if you need to speak to a counselor: 407-823-2811 and press 5
  • You can also use our Therapy Assisted On-line (TAO) program with modules to provide support during the storm. Access TAO by finding it in the UCF App under Wellbeing, or by using this direct link (enrollment key: stay calm):

Residents who can safely return home or to another location to ride out a hurricane are strongly encouraged to leave before the storm approaches.

Identify whether you will be remaining in your room or relocating off-campus on the Weather Emergency Plan form on the main page of the Housing Portal (myUCF>Student Self Service>Housing>Housing Portal>Weather Emergency Plan).

Depending on the level of severity of the hurricane, the Department of Housing and Residence Life may initiate the following plans.

Residents unable to go home must comply with the following directions.

Residents will be notified in advance of Ride-Out locations. If Ride Out locations are designated, students living in the Orlando main campus housing facilities will be required to leave their residence and report to a designated Ride Out location.

  • Follow the General Information and Tips.
  • A photo ID or UCFID card is required to check-in at Ride Out locations.
  • Residents should pack the following:
    • ample clothing
    • a sleeping bag or blankets and a pad to sleep on
    • toiletries
    • prescription medication
    • important papers
    • non-perishable snacks
    • a weather radio
    • a flashlight and batteries
    • a portable charging bank
    • something to occupy time
  • Residents should provide their own food for the initial period of the emergency, usually three days; Non-perishable snack-type food, including crackers, power bars, cookies, pretzels, chips, peanut butter, jelly, bread, cereal, soda, etc.
  • Items that are not allowed in a ride-out location include:
    • pets
    • alcohol and other controlled substances
    • tobacco products
    • weapons.
  • Comply with directions of UCF Housing and Residence Life staff and the UCF Police.
  • It is essential that all residents stay indoors throughout the entire hurricane or other emergency situation. Residents must not leave the ride-out location until directed to do so by the Residence Hall staff.
  • Follow the General Information and Tips.
  • Students, faculty, and staff should remain indoors and off the roads during the periods of possible intermittent tropical winds and weather.
  • Select campus dining options will be open when possible.
  • Students who remain in their residence halls should purchase food and supplies prior to the start of severe weather.
  • Residents will not be permitted to have guests in their space during the hurricane.
  • External building-to-building in-person support from Housing and Residence Life will be limited depending on outside weather conditions.
  • Remain away from dangerous areas, such as the glass windows and doors in the lobby areas of the halls or the living rooms of the apartments.
  • Refer to the UCF Parking website for any information or updates regarding parking within the garages and around campus.
  • UCF will use the UCF Alert text and email message system to communicate any updates.
  • Report all accidents, injuries, broken windows, or excessive water to your community office.
  • If you experience any emergencies, call 911 directly.


Storm Impact Reporting

It is suggested that students report issues that may have happened during severe inclement weather to the Work Control Center. Facilities Operations can take the necessary steps to remediate these issues and prevent further damage property.

Storm related impacts can be reported to Work Control Center at 407-823-5223, emailed to, or submitted online.

The University is not responsible for damages to, or for loss of, personal property as a result of a hurricane or any weather-related event.

If you have questions, please contact your community office or ask an RA.